Caring for people with ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), especially as the disease becomes more advanced, requires above average attention to detail and competence. With our educated caregiver model, a care manager assigned to each client, and nurse-delegated staff, our ALS care is known as one of the region’s best.
As our ALS clients need more specialized care, we match them with our most experienced Certified Nursing Assistants. They also receive extensive case management by one of our Care Managers. We create two-person teams for 24/7 care at all times. The Care Manager provides an extra layer of back up. We use our communication log process to ensure everyone is updated and fully informed at all times.
Although each Plan of Care is customized, ALS care plans usually include:
- Medication reminder and ordering assistance
- Meal planning and preparation, with special attention to swallowing issues
- Bathing, dressing, toileting and grooming assistance
- Assistance with adaptive aids to promote independence
- Fall Risk assistance and transfers, including special lifts (Hoyer, Sit to Stand, etc.)
- Assistance with Range of Motion and other mobility exercises
- Nurse-delegated services to assist with secretions and respiration (CPAP, BiPAP, Trach)
- Weekly Reports to family covering the highs, lows, and changes in condition